Level 2 NVQ Diploma in Hairdressing
The Level 2 Diploma is an ideal starting point for those wanting to enter the hairdressing industry. The programme will provide you with a good understanding of a range of hairdressing treatments and will enable the development of skills which will prepare you for progression onto further study in this area or into employment.
Our Hairdressing level 2 diploma has been designed so that you will have the advantage of learning and working in a real hairdressing environment through our work placements.
Who is this course for?
If you want to start a career in hairdressing or are a newly employed trainee hairdressers wishing to achieve a recognised qualification in hairdressing. This qualification provides the first step to a hairdressing career.
City & Guilds - Level 2 NVQ Diploma in Hairdressing
Functional Skills - English, Maths, ICT (as required)
You will acquire the knowledge and understanding of the following Mandatory units:
- Advise and consult with clients
- Shampoo, condition and treat hair and scalp
- Develop, maintain effectiveness at work
- Style and finish hair
- Set and dress hair
- Cut hair using basic techniques
- Colour and lighten hair
Optional Units include:
- Perm and neutralise
- Plait and twist hair
Assessment may be in the salon or at training centre and will include:
- Observation of practical skills
- Oral questioning
- Written tests
- Written assignments
- A portfolio of evidence as required by the awarding body
- Assignment and tests for the Functional Skills programme (dependent on prior qualifications)
Location of Training
- Theory will be delivered in a GetaHead Training Centre either at Retford or Worksop or remotely in the salon.
- Practical training will be delivered in the learner’s own salon by the salon or at GetaHead Centre at Worksop or Retford.
Practical and oral assessment delivered in the learner’s own salon (by GetaHead Training, unless the salon has a qualified work based assessor) or at a GetaHead Centre.
This course will prepare you to progress to the level 3 in hairdressing, (Advanced Apprenticeship). It will enable you to become junior stylist status in a salon or move into many more careers.
This course is designed those wishing to start a career in hairdressing and you will therefore need:
- A regular work placement of two days or more.
- Entry 3 or above obtained on English and Maths initial assessment tests.
- Commitment to purchase necessary tools, equipment and learning materials.
- Commitment to complete private study of 2 - 4 hours in learner’s own time.
- Eligibility for funding confirmed during interview.
Tuition is free for students ages 16-18.
Course costs to those aged 19+ will vary and are subject on course duration and type (Award, Certificate, and Diploma).
Study as an Apprentice
This course is free to any aged student if studied as part of an apprenticeship. Click here to find out more.
Additional Financial Support
Student bursary is available to subsidise learning, travel and food costs to those who are eligible aged 16-18 through a means tested assessment.